Monday, November 13, 2006

*Chinese or Western medicine ?

Now, I am sick... so let's talk about the physicians !

When you are sick, you may wonder whether you should go to the Chinese or the Western doctor...

First you can read the very long article from Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_medicine

But you can also follow this principle : according to the local people, first, you should go to the Western doctor, because you would recover faster. Then, once you have recovered, you can go to the Chinese doctor to strengthen your body.

And it is true ! I got a flu...but I went to a Chinese doctor...and it took me three weeks to be fully recovered...
In fact, Chinese medicine see your entire body as a whole, whereas in Western medicine, they would only look at a part of your body... so even though I have a backache, when I have an acupuncture treatment, I also have needles in my legs... (and no, acupuncture is not so painful...)

So if you choose to go to the Western doctor, go to this doctor (he speaks English) :

Dr Tam Kwok Cheong Barry GHC Medical Centre
Shop No 874
Ground Floor
Rhythm Garden,
No 242
Choi Hung Road
Kowloon

MTR Diamond Hill, exit B


Tel. : 2476 3883

Opening hours (everyday, even on Sundays and bank holidays !!!) :
8:30-13:00
15:30-21:30


And do not forget to ask for a receipt for your health insurance !

And here, the doctor provides the medicines. You do not have to go to the pharmacy, and have only the exact number of pills you need.
Peut-être que nous devrions faire cela en France, cela restreindrait le "trou de la Sécu"...

And if you choose to go to the Chinese doctor, please go to the Baptist University Chinese Medicine Clinics :

Hong Kong Baptist University Mr and Mrs Chan Hon Yin
Chinese Medicine Specialty Clinic and Good Clinical Practice Centre
1/F Jockey Club School of Chinese Medicine Building
7, Baptist University Road

Kowloon Tong


MTR Kowloon Tong, then bus 25M

Tel.: 3411 2968 or 3411 2988
Fax : 3411 2992

e-mail : jccmc@hkbu.edu.hk

www.hkbu.edu.hk/~scm/clnc


Opening hours : (monday to saturday)
10:00-14:00

15:00-19:00


And concerning the medicine, either they cook it for you, either they give you a bag with all the ingredients, and you have to boil the "soup"... If you want the doctor's staff to cook the medicine for you, you just have to warm the little bags...and drink it with Chinese candies, because the medicine is so bitter !


But you may have to cook the medicine by yourself...I had to do that, because I was bitten by an insect, and I had to put my hands in the medicine...


and no, no, you are not dreaming, it is really cockroaches skins... (beurk !) but actually the medicine worked (in fact it was more effective than my corticoid cream) ! And no, I do not want to know what ingredients are in the beverages I have....


And please, if you travel around, be aware that there can be "fake" doctors ! No, no, I am not joking, but when I told my kungfu mates I was going to the doctor, the first reaction was : "Be careful of the fake doctors" ! If you do not believe me, have a look to this picture taken in Macao :

But do not worry, I have been to both doctors I mentioned here and I can tell you they are really effective !
Anyway, you may not need any doctor ! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home